What does the Compost Network do? Utilising the principles of:
Reduce Recycle & Reuse…
…the Compost Network aims to:
- assist the regular collection and recycling of food ‘waste’ generated by local restaurants, cafes and food retailers across Adelaide’s North-West
- ensure distribution and recycling of this waste via a number of strategies
- support provision of education opportunities for more effective composting activities in the community and in school gardens
- link businesses & the community & fostering economic activity
- support schools & learning & share valuable community knowledge
- support the improvement of local environments & soils
- support local recycling and waste reduction
- assist in building resilience & reducing costs living in the local community.
How Does the Network Work? We assist in organising the individual collection of food waste, unsaleable fruit & veg and coffee grounds from participating businesses in our local area. Home, community & school gardeners then recycle it into compost for use in gardens across our local area. The Network relies entirely on the voluntary participation, initiative & leadership of all of its members.
Who Is the Network For? It’s for you!
- do you line in Semaphore or neighbouring suburbs?
- do you enjoy gardening?
- are you interested the benefits of composting?
- do you have a worm farm with hungry worms to feed?
- do you want to improve those sandy, water-shedding coastal soils in your garden?
…then your local Composting Network can help! Contact us here.
Outcomes: We aim for:
- improved soils & environments
- less water use
- reduced food miles
- improved food knowledge
- enhanced recreational opportunities
- stronger business & community partnerships
In particular we expect to see Triple Bottom-Line benefits for business!
Join the Network:
- You can sign-up to receive our Composting News via email (approx. 1 x month) and stay up to date with local events, developments, learning opportunities etc.
- If you would like to participate in the Network (e.g.; regular donation or collection of food waste or coffee-grounds) please contact us via our Contact Page.
- You can also contact the coordinators of any of the food swaps, markets and community hardens directly via the contact details at our Community page.