What is the Compost Network? The Network is an informal coalition of businesses, schools, backyard gardeners & community gardens in and around Semaphore and Port Adelaide. Utilising the principles of:
Reduce Recycle & Reuse…
…the Compost Network aims to:
- assist the regular collection and recycling of food ‘waste’ generated by local restaurants, cafes and food retailers across Adelaide’s North-West
- ensure distribution and recycling of this waste via a number of strategies
- support provision of education opportunities for more effective composting activities in the community and in school gardens
- link businesses & the community & fostering economic activity
- support schools & learning & share valuable community knowledge
- support the improvement of local environments & soils
- support local recycling and waste reduction
- assist in building resilience & reducing costs living in the local community.
How Does the Network Work? We assist in organising the individual collection of food waste, unsaleable fruit & veg and coffee grounds from participating businesses in our local area. Home and community gardeners and schools then recycle it into compost for use in gardens across our local area. The Network relies entirely on the voluntary participation & leadership of all of its members.
Who Is the Network For? It’s for you!
- do you enjoy gardening?
- are you interested the benefits of composting?
- do you have a worm farm with hungry worms to feed?
- do you want to improve those sandy, coastal soils in your garden?
…then your local Composting Network can help! Contact us here.
Outcomes: We aim for:
- improved soils & environments
- less water use
- reduced food miles
- improved food knowledge
- enhanced recreational opportunities
- stronger business & community partnerships
In particular we expect to see Triple Bottom-Line benefits for business!
Join the Network:
- You can sign-up to receive our Composting News via email (approx. 1 x month) and stay up to date with local events, developments, learning opportunities etc.
- If you would like to participate in the Network any way (e.g.; regular donation or collection of food waste or caffe-grounds) please contact us via our Contact Page.
- You can also contact the coordinators of any of the food swaps, markets and community hardens directly via the contact details at our Community page.